Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Book o' Two Months Ago: Moby Dick


I read it--the dreaded Moby Dick by Herman Melville.  Why is it so dreaded?  I was immediately drawn in to the witty narration of Ismael.  Who knew Moby Dick was funny (the book, not the whale)?  True, it is a loooong book (at over 600 pages in the edition that I read), but the chapters are short--perfect for our current condition of smartphone related short attention spans (or parenthood).  I will admit I learned more about ALL the aspects of whaling, which I never had any intention of knowing, including one particular visceral image I may never be able to purge from my brain, but it was worth it.  I may be partial because of my love of 19th century subject matter and literature, but I would still dare you: Read Moby Dick!


No comments:

Post a Comment