Thursday, July 16, 2009

Do It Now

As we walked back to the car after the internment service for my great aunt, I said to my father, "Another one's gone, Dad." And he reminded me that I'd better ask him all my questions now, while he's still here. There are still questions he never asked my grandfather (who died in '99), like why the family moved out west.

At the reception following the internment, my great aunt's daughter, my second cousin, told story after story. It was wonderful. She really is the historian for that branch of my family tree. My great aunt had been quite the storyteller. And she had always been kind to me. She loved to laugh, and she had the sweetest giggle. I'll miss her.


So, this is a short blog entry today, but a poignant one. Do it now. Really. Ask all your questions, and record the stories, the histories. Don't wait.

And another thing. Take some time to tell your loved ones--all of them, not just the elders--why you love them. Recall for them the stories that make you smile when you think of them. Thank them for what they have taught you. Explain why you admire them.

You might feel a little embarrassed at first, but don't let that stop you. Just pick up the phone, or the pen. Make the call, mail the letter. Type the email and click "SEND". It doesn't have to be fancy. It doesn't have to be long. It doesn't have to be well-written. It can be a list, a top ten. It can be an "I love you."

Really, do it NOW.

2 comments: