Thursday, July 29, 2010

Book o' the Month: Kim

This month I read Rudyard Kipling's classic, Kim. It had been one of Tom's favorite books as a young man, and we decided to read it together. Our own little book club, if you will.

Kim is largely an adventure about a boy in India under British rule. I really enjoyed reading this book, especially because it was such a departure from what I've been reading lately (mainly, books with a heroine, not a hero). If you liked Siddhartha by Herman Hesse, you might just like Kim, because it is also a story of journey and enlightenment.

At the end I was left to ponder a bit, but called upon my high school and university English Lit. class skills to put it all together. I'm pretty sure I figured it out. And I didn't even have to write a paper.

Next month: Is my favorite book of all time still my favorite book of all time? We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. That's the best part -- just reading for enjoyment and not having to write a paper.

    ReplyDelete