Thursday, July 13, 2017

Books o' the Month: The Bookshop on the Corner, Prairie Tale, Hedy's Folly

Suddenly, I am reading like crazy.  Avoiding domestic responsibilities in favor of reading.  Pulling out my book instead of my phone at swim lessons, at swim team practice, at Toyota, at Tire Pros, at the Starbucks drive-thru.  And I get a little smug about it, because staring at a hand-held book looks way more intellectual than staring at a phone, for goodness' sake!  (Though I may be holding a hardback copy of Prairie Tale vs. reading Tolstoy on my Kindle app, ahem.)

But let's start with The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan.  A bit improbable, but delightful--they go hand-in-hand, agreed?
On to Melissa Gilbert's (aka Half-Pint) Prairie Tale.  The first book I have ever read in this genre...celebrity confessional?  Immensely entertaining tell-all.
And finally, Hedy's FollyThe Life and Breakthrough Inventions of Hedy Lamarr, the Most Beautiful Woman in the World by Richard Rhoades.  My interest in the time period between wars (WWI and WWII) is seriously piqued.  I would like to read more about Ms. Lamarr (beauty plus big brains) and watch some of her films, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. oh how cool! I'm ordering that Melissa Gilbert one right now! thanks for info!

    ReplyDelete