Thursday, October 26, 2017

Books o' the Month: Confessions of a Prairie Bitch, A Hundred Summers, Extraordinary Life of an Army Wife, Making Masterpiece, On the Banks of Plum Creek

I have been absolutely prolific in my reading lately.  Prolific, I tell you, which is different than obsessive--search my blog for Diana Gabaldon and Paulina Simons, not to mention Austen and Bronte, for obsessive reading!


Let's start with Confessions of a Prairie Bitch by Alison Arngrim, AKA Nellie Oleson.  I had to read it after enjoying Melissa Gilbert's memoir.  Take all your preconceived notions of Alison/Nellie and throw them out the window.  Then read this book.  She is an amazing woman who has been through hell and now spends a great deal of her time and energy helping others.


Oh, Beartriz Williams, please never stop writing!  I love her style and her characters and her settings, etc., etc., etc.  A Hundred Summers has it all and was pure fun to read.


I finished reading Extraordinary Life of an Army Wife right before my dear sweet Grandma died.  Jacky Cagwin was another woman of her generation, and what they had in common was being army wives.  True tales from mid-century America, plus Mrs. Cagwin met a lot of interesting people (JFK? check!) and led an interesting if sometimes painful life.


After reading Making Masterpiece, I have a whole new appreciation for what it takes to bring my favorite TV show to my living room.  I have zero regrets about signing up for KQED Passport.


Andrew and I are still working our way through the Little House classics.  On the Banks of Plum Creek was the next fascinating installment.  I love these books!  (As a family, we are now on season five of the television series.)

More books coming next month--you betcha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment