Thursday, June 21, 2018

Books o' the Month: Little Town on the Prairie and These Happy Golden Years



Andrew and I are almost finished with Laura Ingalls Wilder's series.  We read Little Town on the Prairie and These Happy Golden Years.  They are both wonderful.  I find myself wishing I had read them to my Grandma.  She was born in 1913 in Minnesota.  She lived there and in Iowa before moving to California in the late 1930s.  I think she would have loved the stories of prairie life and found many things familiar, especially the descriptions of the cold weather.

Next up, The First Four Years.  This will be the beginning of Laura's life with Almanzo and the birth of their daughter, Rose.  The description on the book jacket sounds like hard times lay ahead, which will be different from the happy courtship story in the previous book.  That's life, I suppose.

I am also reading Dr. Zhivago after watching two film versions of the book first--never a good idea.  But, more about that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment