Monday, July 1, 2019

Work Gets in the Way

I bought a hydrangea about a month ago.  Or maybe end of May?  Then we had a heat wave the next week and I came home to find it completely wilted (even though I had watered it two days before).  I knew we live in an iffy area for hydrangeas and I thought I had killed it.  It made me want to cry.  So, I poured a gallon of water into it and the next morning it looked like this again.  There's got to be some sort of significant metaphor here.

So it's July.  I haven't posted since December.  I don't know how that happened.  Wait.  Yes I do.  I got a new job as a homeschool teacher for a public charter school.  I like it a lot, but this first year was a HUGE learning curve.  Not only work stuff, but figuring out how to be a regular working mom stuff and all the stuff that goes along with that.  Stuff.

I also drive my kids--one or both--to swim practice every day.  Twice a day four times a week for my daughter.  I love that they like it so much but, wow, I never ever thought this is what we would be doing.

So.  I bought a hydrangea.  I put it in the back against the fence across the yard from the kitchen window over the sink.  I look out there often and it is a thing of beauty.  I love the way the colors of the flowers change.  It reminds me of my Grandma, though I don't remember her ever having a hydrangea or even if she liked them.  (And that makes me sad, because I feel like I should know this and now I can't ask her.)

I read one book in the last six months and I'll post about it in a few days.  Probably.  And now I am starting War and Peace which the librarian told me her son told her is just one big long cocktail party.  So, I'm thinking--beach read!

Happy summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment