Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy Birthday

Today is my birthday. Since becoming a mother, I have a different view of birthdays. Especially my own. You see, now I have some idea of what it took to bring me into this world.

I was born early in the morning, on a Tuesday, long ago when Nixon was president and gas cost 55 cents per gallon. I never tire of hearing my parents tell the story of how my mom was sure she was going to give birth as the car bumped over train tracks on the way to the hospital, causing my dad to step on the gas. And later, how the nurse came to the waiting room as my dad was arranging his cup of coffee and Reader's Digest, to tell him he'd better get in the delivery room if he wanted to see his baby being born! Times have changed...but that is another story.

I can imagine the relief my mom must have felt with the final push. And the complete wonder of looking at my tiny face for the first time. And the love. That big, big joyful love that was a feeling unknown until that very moment.

So, every year on my birthday, since becoming a mother, I think about this. I think about how no matter where I find myself, on this day however many number of years ago, I was brought into this world and welcomed with wonder and love.

Now isn't that the nicest of birthday presents?

3 comments:

  1. Sara,
    yay! I love your blog - and it's so pretty! Mine is not so pretty, I wish I had more computer experience to figure this out. it reminds me of dooce.com.
    I'm trying to figure out how to subscribe to your blog.....oh and have a super Happy Birthday! LOVE the pic.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! What a sweet way to look at birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Sara. Graphic art seems to be up your alley too. The blog is pretty and well written.

    ReplyDelete