Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Christmas Carol

Have you seen the version of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, with George C. Scott as Scrooge, that is shown on TV every year? I have seen it, or bits and pieces of it, about a gazillion times since it first aired in 1984. It is one of those movies that you happen upon as you are channel surfing, and simply cannot look away from. It's that way for me, anyway.

To the left is the novella. Dickens' actual words. I've had this gem on my bookshelf for probably 10 years. Each December I vow to read it, but I never have. Until this year. I'm reading it and quite enjoying it. I just finished the part where the Ghost of Christmas Past takes Scrooge on a little trip down memory lane. I like how Dickens' writes about the ghosts. Scarier and stranger than in the movie. And so far, I'm content with picturing Ebenezer as played by Mr. Scott. I don't think I've ever read a book after seeing the movie, before now. It's an interesting experience. I know pretty much how it is going to turn out, but getting there is a slightly different journey.

A Christmas Carol is about 60 pages long. So, if you've ever thought you might like to give it a read, go for it. I bet you could finish it before Christmas, which is only 8 days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment