Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Book o' the Month: The Philosopher's Diet

A lot of people make resolutions each January to lose weight, eat more healthily, etc. I haven't had to do that for the last two years. I was on what I call the "nursing diet". For the first year of Andrew's life I ate whatever I wanted and still lost weight. Down to what I weighed in college. Amazing, I know. So amazing that I thought there might be something wrong with me, since I did not have the same experience after Valerie was born. Turns out Andrew was just a big eater, and I was the mama of a newborn and a busy four year old. So, that was nice.

But a few months ago the scale went from showing a long period of plateau to a slow increase in weight. I know the honeymoon is over, so I'm rereading this book. I first read it over ten years ago, and I am finding it still makes sense to me. The Philosopher's Diet: How to Lose Weight and Change the World, by Richard Watson (a philosopher), is the only diet book I own, the only one I will ever own, I'm sure. And though it isn't always easy, I know how to lose weight (or stop gaining it). Eat less (sugar, especially) and exercise. A simple equation. My motivation? Be healthy for my kids. And this book. I might not follow it word-for-word, but it is frank and fun. It is simple, and that appeals to me.

I've had my pre-pregnancy pants put away in a bag for a long time now, awaiting their trip to Goodwill, because they are too big for me. I don't think I've been confident enough to give them away. But now I think I will finally send them off. I like my new pants better!

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting book, I had never heard of it. I lost the baby weight (well most of it) on the nursing diet too but my body had changed forever. It crept back on and as I get older and my metabolism changes I find it harder to keep in check. Thanks for the book review!

    ReplyDelete