Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Book o' the Month: My Life

My Life, the autobiography by artist Marc Chagall, captivated me, much like his paintings do. He is one of my favorite artists and his painting, The Birthday, is one of the most wonderful of all.

I happened upon this book during story time at the library with Andrew as one of the librarians was re-shelving it. It is so beautifully written. And I found myself relating to many of the feelings Chagall describes experiencing as a child and young man. I have always been drawn to his artwork, even though I have nearly nothing in common with him. But after reading his words, it is perhaps a little clearer to me. Not only am I left with more of an understanding of Chagall, but also an appreciation for what it was like to be a painter during the time in which he lived.

I would recommend this book simply for the beauty of the writing. But also, I would hope it turns out to be a window to the intriguing works of art for which Chagall is known.

(I'm joining in the fun with Turn The Page Tuesday today. Check it out!)

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of him. I'll have to check this out ~ thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have a Chagall print somewhere around here from my college days. I can't for the life of me remember which one it is, but I have long admired his style. It's definitely unmistakable and I think I would enjoy this book. It's part of why I liked The Lacuna so much. I loved reading about Diego Rivera and Frida so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting. I don't know of Chagall but will have to do some research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not heard of Chagall either... the things you learn here in blogland!

    ReplyDelete