Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Book o' the Month: Sense and Sensibility

I hadn't read Jane Austin since high school, so I thoroughly enjoyed reading Sense and Sensibility this month knowing I would not be required to write a critical essay when finished.

Oh, Jane! I have seen a number of films and mini-series (most recently this one) based upon her novels. There is so much to love. Her writing is, of course, wonderful, and even though there were several sentences I had to reread, there was only one paragraph that totally perplexed me because of the language.

I bought this book of her novels for myself as a birthday gift. I like having all the novels in one place, plus it takes up less space on the bookshelf. As if there were any space left there to begin with. Or on the floor anywhere near it, for that matter.

Tonight, I will be watching the Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet version of the movie. I hope Hubby will watch with me. He's been a bit more into trying out period films since getting completely absorbed with Downton Abby. But that's another post.

1 comment:

  1. This one is on my list too! I'm still watching "Lark Rise to Candleford" and I saw clips from Downton Abby, so that's next up. Thanks so much for passing on that suggestion.

    ReplyDelete