Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Where it All Began

While on vacation a few weeks ago, I visited my hometown library. This is the particular row I would go to in the summer as a young teen looking for the thickest books I could find. This I where I discovered Hemingway's Islands in the Stream and The Sun Also Rises. I always loved reading, but this is also where I discovered that reading can be an adventure.

I wished I had brought my old library card (do you think they'd still let me use it?) when my interest was piqued by Margaret Drabble's The Sea Lady and Iris Murdoch's The Sea, The Sea. (I was a bit inspired by the beach, you see.)

I just found out today that our local Borders is closing in September. I know it is a big box book store, but I liked it. I will miss it. (And I'd better check on the status of my Borders Bucks!) Even though I prefer to borrow books from our local library rather than buy them, I do occasionally buy a book I can't find at the library, or one I think I would like to have on my bookshelf at home. I also like to give books as gifts.

Well, our local independent booksellers are sure to be rejoicing. And I will be getting to know more of them. (And trying to convince them to open coffee bars in their stores.)

1 comment:

  1. I just went to Borders yesterday and got 40% off those expensive (14.99!!!) sewing magazines. I don't think they're honoring Borders Bucks tho....

    ReplyDelete