Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Books o' the Month: The Female Brain, A Good Year, and The Help

Have I got a book for you!

I think everybody, female and male, should read The Female Brain. Dr. Louann Brizendine's book is not self-help, it is science. And it will most likely change the way you look at yourself (and everyone you know). I am humbled by my own brain. It is awesomely powerful and insightful. I am also frustrated by my brain. It makes me feel things through a flush of hormones that change day-to-day, entirely beyond my control. The book describes how hormones affect our brains at every stage of life.

Hubby is afraid after reading it. He thinks I might just kick him to the curb after menopause. (Not likely!) And he is anxious for me to read the companion book, The Male Brain. Tune in next month for that one...

I also read Peter Mayle's A Good Year. I remember really enjoying his book (and the film) A Year in Provence. A Good Year was a light read, and I will probably follow it up with the film soon, though the trailer makes it look a bit different from the story--I'll let you know.

And then there was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I read it like crazy every available minute I had for fours day before going to see the movie (which was very good but as usual, I say, read the book!). This was one of the best recently-written books I have read in a long time. I thought I had already learned a lot about our country during civil rights, but this book, even though a work of fiction, really showed me another perspective. I am so glad I read it.

P.S. Check out Turn the Page ... Tuesday today!

4 comments:

  1. I want to see "The Help" but the male brain aka my husband doesn't want to see it. How long before Netflix gets it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally added a few new books to my list. I think I see another book/movie in my near future. I need to see if Netflix has A Good Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED The Help! What a great book - it was by far one of my favorites of the year.

    I'm adding The Female Brain to my wish list. Sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the same boat as Jodi (Jolly Bee), my male brain won't go with me either. I LOVE scientific books about women... I think The Female Brain is one I need to get my Female hands on!

    My in-laws just got back from Provence, so if the Good Year is anything like they describe about their travels, I bet it was wonderful.

    Thanks for the reviews - can't wait to hear what you think about the Male Brain next month.

    ReplyDelete