Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hello, Summer Vacation

At exactly 12:30 P.M. tomorrow, our summer vacation will start.  Andrew had his end-of-the-year-preschool-potluck yesterday.  Valerie finishes up second grade tomorrow.

Ah, the mixed feelings!  I'm not really sure where to start.  Except, I did take Andrew to Trader Joe's with me today for the first time in quite a long while, and let's just say I prefer to go it alone.  Next week, it will be me and two kids.  I have been so spoiled.  Grocery shipping with kids, one of the not-joys of summer.  Oh well.

This summer, besides visits to TJ's, not getting regular exercise is going to be a tough one.  I will miss my biweekly jogs.  I will try to replace them with letting the kids play at the playground while I run around (and around and around) the path at the school.  But I dunno.  If I only gain back the weight I lost, I will consider that pretty good.

On the positive side, today I packed the last lunch for several weeks.  And no more having to get out the door by 8:30 A.M.  I am looking forward to less running around.  I am looking forward to fun outings with the kids, and family vacation.

I spent about fifteen minutes last Tuesday (Andrew's last day of school) between an errand to the pharmacy and a dental appointment (no cavities!), at the craft store buying wire I am going to use to crochet.  I snapped the photo of silk flowers (above) on my way out of the store.  The next time I go there (kids in tow), I'll probably be pulling my hair out (maybe I can save it for crochet).

I'm whining a lot, but I want you to know that I am also so thankful I am able to be home with my babies all summer long.  I mean, how many more of these do I have? Sometimes I am afraid to blink, for I might see Valerie graduating high school, Andrew learning to drive, right before my misty eyes.  It is hard to put it in perspective sometimes, in the moment (of self-pity).  But the reality of just how fast it goes is right there with me everyday. 

Hello, summer vacation.  Let's rock 'n' roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment