Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Books o' the Month: Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade...and More!

Sorry for the late posting.  Summer vacation, you know.  I don't really know which way is up, and I like it.

I finished another of Diana Gabaldon's Lord John books--Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade.  More juicy Outlander tidbits.  I have one more Lord John novel to go, then the long wait for the next Outlander book.

Next up was What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by novelist and runner Haruki Murakami.  This is the first book I have read on the subject and I was delighted by how the author conveyed his love of running.  I was able to relate to certain feelings he has, and it made me even more motivated.  Unfortunately, it is practically impossible for me to run during summer vacation as I have the kids with me pretty much 24/7.  Ah well.
Hubby heard about this book, The Trouble With Boys by Peg Tyre, and asked me to pick it up from the library.  I spent much of my teacher education learning about how girls have been traditionally underserved in schools, then much of my teaching career making sure I was also sensitive to the needs of the boys in my class.  Well, girls are doing quite well now, and the tide has turned.  If you have boys in school I'd suggest this book just to keep you vigilant about the unique educational needs of boys.  I didn't read every word of every chapter, but I read enough to get the gist of it.

What books are you diving into this summer?

P.S.  I totally missed out participating this month, but if you want to know of other great reads, please go to the Some of a Kind blog, here!

2 comments:

  1. I just bought Wool..an indie sci-fi series. And I'm reading Free Range Kids..because I'm a worry wort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you jumped in ~ looks like a few new ones added to my list ... especially the one about boys. I need all the help I can get!

    ReplyDelete