Friday, June 28, 2013

Watch This: Northanger Abbey

Above is not a photo of a Northanger Abbey DVD, obviously, but I'll get to that.

I recently read the Jane Austen classic, then requested the movie from Netflix.  I got this one and it was...not what I had expected.  The novel definitely has a touch of the melodramatic--by design--but this film was somewhat over the top.  So.  I requested this 2007 Masterpiece Classic version, and yes.  Yes, yes.  Very good.  I even found that while I typically dislike changes made when adapting novels to screenplays, the liberties taken in this particular film may have even enhanced the story.  For the screen.  I would highly recommend it.

Austen wrote Northanger Abbey as a comment on Gothic novels of the time.  One particular novel, Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho is referenced in Abbey.  I was curious, so searched my library for it and came up with the book above.  It is a graphic novel with a number of tales including Udolpho, and Northanger Abbey! I enjoyed reading a work Austen had been inspired by.  Someone ought to make a movie of it--if you know of one please comment.

If you are a Jane Austen fan, you will no doubt enjoy the 2007 version of Northanger Abbey.  The performances are very good.  Felicity Jones is a perfect Catherine Morland, and JJ Feild is an excellent Henry Tilney.

I went out to the movies last week, and I have a rec for you...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment