Monday, September 23, 2013

One Hundred Years

My dear sweet grandma turns one hundred today.  This is how she looked when she was close to my own age now.  Her smile, her laugh, the twinkle in her eyes, are all still the same today.  I have been told I look like her, and it is the best of compliments.

I couldn't celebrate with her today, but sent her a bouquet of colorful tulips.  I will get to see her in about nineteen days (but who's counting?!).  A bit over two years ago, she started staying in bed, and now has round-the-clock care.  But, besides plain old old age, she is in good health.  She sleeps a lot, but when I walk into her room for a visit she often says, "Sara!"  And my heart is filled to overflowing because I love her so much and want nothing more than to see her smile.

She is one of the kindest, most generous people I know.  What she has given me most is love, so much love.  I spent a lot of time at her house as a child and it is such a place of happiness, peace, and refuge.  I have so, so many happy memories there.  And more to come...

When I visit her, I ask her to tell me my favorite stories from her childhood.  There are several!  I learned about storytelling from her.  I learned that even seemingly ordinary memories are made wonderful in the telling, and are also wonderful simply because they are shared.  Stories (memories) are important.

I don't always succeed, but I try to be like my grandma.  Especially as a mother.  I think of her when I am frustrated with my kids.  It helps calm me down and look at the bigger picture.  I try to always be kind and considerate, always share a smile.  I hope my kids learn that from me (from Grandma).

Every minute, every hour I am fortunate enough to spend with my grandma is a treasure.  I just love to be near her, surrounded by her warmth.

Happy 100th Birthday, Grandma!  Thank you for being the such a beautiful presence in my life!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That is amazing. Sounds like she is a wonderful lady. Hope your visit it s great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo, 100? That's great that she is still healthy and plugging along. Hope you have a lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete