Friday, July 29, 2016

Book o' the Month: The Lion's Paw

In fourth grade, Mrs. M.--one of my favorite teachers--read us The Lion's Paw by Robb White.  It is an adventure about two runaway orphans, a teenager and his father's sailboat.  I remember being absolutely riveted each afternoon as she read a chapter aloud.

I've been reading it to my son and he loves it.  Truth is, I read a chapter ahead first to preview that it is appropriate for his eight-year-old ears since it's been thirty-four years since I was in fourth grade!

I am continually amazed by the volume (heehee) of chapter books available for kids these days.  It seems I can count on my fingers how many chapter books I read in my preteen days.  The thing is, I don't know how good these books really are since I don't have time to read them all.  But I do use Common Sense Media quite often to check out both books and movies for my kids.

And...I am STILL reading Anna Karenina.  I am now on page 402 (out of 976), so I suppose that's progress.  I really like it, it's just loooooooong, plus summer busy-ness really picked up these past two weeks and there hasn't been much time.

The kids go back to school on August 10th, so then there will be lots of time for me to read Tolstoy.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment