Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Book o' the Month: We Have Always Lived in the Castle


You have probably heard of Shirley Jackson.  You have probably read her writing, but you just don't realize it.

I, like many students, read her short story The Lottery in high school.  It was disturbing.  We Have Always Lived in the Castle is disturbing, too.  And delightful.  Just read it.  (And then watch for the film in 2017.)

A little while ago, I saw a post about this author on the wonderful (Inside a Black Apple) blog, and got curious.  Emily dedicated a whole year to the works of Ms. Jackson, and I am tempted to, as well.

Oh, were you wondering if I finally finished Anna Karenina?  I did!  It took ten months.  It was glorious!  Then I watched the most recent film version, which was visionary!  I highly recommend both.

Now I want to read War and Peace (originally titled "War, What is it Good For?").

No comments:

Post a Comment