Thursday, September 25, 2014

Books o' the Month: The Sea, The Sea and The True Confessions of Charlotte Dolye

A couple of years ago, I went into the library and perused the stacks of fiction looking for books with the words "sea" in the title, to read while on vacation.  I read one back then, but last summer I was still obsessing over Gabaldon and discovering Jane Eyre.  So...this past summer, I picked up another of the sea-titled books I found, the Booker Prize winning The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch.  I think this review sums it up nicely.  I enjoyed reading it, though at times the main character's thoughts and actions got so ridiculous, I wanted to close my eyes.  Which, I think, was the point.

Next, I read The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, an historical fiction and Newbery Honor book written by Avi.  Valerie was reading it in her fifth grade class in preparation for an overnight stay on the Balclutha in San Francisco.  It is an adventure story, and pretty exciting.  Exciting enough for fifth grade, I think, what with the murder and all!

The Balclutha experience, by the way, was awesome.  It is an educational field trip which has been running for thirty years.  I went as a "Tall Sailor" and if you have happened upon this blog because you are considering going on this particular field trip, feel free to comment and I will be happy to answer your questions.

Can you recommend any books with "sea" in the title, dear Reader, for me to add to my list for next summer?  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment